monday musings

detroit overlooked

April 29, 2013

detroit brush park

B and I spent the weekend in Detroit with our fellow Design Week team members last week to explore the urban ruins and overlooked spaces of the city that once was.  I knew that entire neighborhoods had been torn down and there were dilapidated buildings all over, but what I didn’t expect was the complete and utter emptyness. During the entire weekend we barely saw any people, and people we did see were there for the same reason as us: tourists checking out the spectacle of Detroit’s abandonment.

Here’s some more photos from the trip:

heidelberg project detroit

The Heidleberg Project

packard auto plant-detroit

Packard Auto Plant – 3.5 million square feet of emptyness

people-mover detroit

Detroit’s Public Transit: The People Mover

fire hydrant detroit packard auto plant

frederick douglass projects

Abandoned Frederick Douglass Projects

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply Jerel April 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

Some nice photos Steph. I thought of you and B as I read this article over the weekend http://www.fastcompany.com/3007840/creative-conversations/how-young-community-entrepreneurs-rebuilding-detroit

• Reply steph April 29, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Thanks, Jerel! Great article. We did go to parts of the city that are being rebuilt and ate at some great local restaurants. There’s definitely room for people to start something in that city– I’m glad it’s starting to happen!

• Reply Steph @ meet.make.laugh. April 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Wow! That is crazy! Beautiful photos though.

• Reply steph April 29, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Thanks Steph!

• Reply Marie Friddle April 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Excellent photos. They really tell the story of the sadness and abandonment so well. THis is a dumb question, but are there organized tours for this? Or did you just happen to venture out on your own?

• Reply steph April 29, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Thanks, Marie! and totally not a dumb question! I believe there are guided tours of the city. We did not go on any because a few of us had been there before and we had some idea of where we wanted to go.